One of my favorite Hermione moments is when she campaigns for S.P.E.W. (The Society for the Protection of Elfish Welfare). So instead of the 'Weasley is my King' prop I had been contemplating for my costume I decided that campaigning for the rights of House Elves was the best way to capture her amazing character.
What you will need:
+ colored paper (I used the 4 Hogwarts house colours)
+ glue/double sided tape
+ safety pins
+ empty tissue box
+ computer and printer/or excellent hand writing skills
What to do:
1. Create a document in Word (or a similar program). Using the shape toolbar make 2.25" circles - 12 circle fit nicely onto anl A4 sized sheet of paper. Inside each circle type the word S.P.E.W. using a pretty font (see photo below).
2. Print the circles on four different colored sheets of paper - one for each of the Hogwarts houses. Note: Don't forgot all your full stops when typing S.P.E.W. or you will have to reprint them all like I did!
3. Cut out all of the circles. I didn't cut mine exactly on the line as I preferred it with the slightly messy edges.
4. Arrange your cut out circles in pretty patterns and take lots of photos! :)
I also made a badge for myself in using all four house colours. Just cut 4 different colored circles in quarters and then glue them on top of another full circle. Easy!!
4. Now cut out small strips of paper about 2 x 1 cm - in the same colours as your circles. Attach them to the back of each S.P.E.W. circle using double sided tape on each end of the strip - remember to not tape down the middle of the paper strip! Put small safety pins through the not secured down section on your paper strip. Pin your badge to your Hogwarts uniform and you are done! Now make some S.P.E.W. badges to share with your friends!!
To make the S.P.E.W. collection box I simply covered an empty tissue box with yellow paper and then glued the a sign which I had typed up.
The Society for the Protection of Elfish Welfare
Membership fees: 2 sickles
Fill your box with badges and don't forget to hand them out at all your local screenings of The Deathly Hallows. Perhaps you can also have wizards, witches and muggles sign a petition demanding equal pay for house elves!
And always remember, support S.P.E.W. and protect Elfish welfare!!