My family taught me to make these when I was in America and I have been teaching sharing them with people ever since. I just love how easy they are to make! Plus they are incredibly delicious and if you are willing to hunt for the correct m&m's you can make them fit ANY occasion!
What you will need:
+ Mini pretzels - don't use regular size ones or the Rolos will melt through the gaps. In Australia our mini pretzels come in different shapes - only use the pretzel and star shaped ones. I've had trouble with the others.
+ Peanut m&m's - although I sometimes use a mixed bag so that people who don't like peanuts get the regular and crispy m&ms instead.
What to do:
1. Preheat oven - 300° Fahrenheit or 130° Celsius. I know this isn't a correct conversion, but these are the two temperatures I use when i'm in Australia or the States.
2. Cover a baking tray with mini pretzels.
3. Place a Rolo in the middle of each pretzel.
4. Put the tray in the oven. Leave in the oven until Rolos have softened - but before the caramel bursts out!! At 300°F they take about 3 minutes, at 130°C it takes about 2 minutes 10 seconds.
5. Take tray out of the oven and immediately start putting m&ms on top of each one. Don't press too hard or the Rolos will burst. I put the m&m's lightly on top so the Rolos still hold their form, however when i'm making these using pecans I do squash them more.
And now you are done! Enjoy!!
Remember to eat a few while they are still warm - yum!!
The wonderful thing about these is that you can make them appropriate for any occasion! Pastel M&Ms at Easter, red/green/white at Christmas, blue/red for 4th of July and Australia Day. And every colour when you are just making a quick snack for afternoon tea!
Sorry about the poor quality photos. I didn't have m&m's on hand (or even pecans which are a good alternative) so I couldn't make any. Instead I dug up old photos that my friend took so that she would remember how to make them! :) I'll repost better ones when I have next make them.